Thursday, December 14, 2006

Blog Migration

A few minutes ago I migrated the blog over to the latest version of the hosting software that Blogger have been developing since the summer, still called Blogger Beta (it's no longer beta btw).

The good news is that;
  • the blog looks the same :huh
  • most of the blog "functions" still work (I'll fix hide/reveal Comments, emoticons asap)
  • our Posts & Comments are intact
  • creating Posts/Comments is the same
  • it's faster :D
The slight downside is that you'll have a little messing around to do the next time you Post or Comment :( Your current Blogger login is no longer valid for the migrated Knobblies and you'll need a Gmail.com login and a re-issued invite t'blog. Let me have your Gmail addy's and I'll send ya's another blog invite. If you don't already have a Google mail account, let me know and I'll send you a Gmail link.

The new s/ware allows us to use our old layout (phew) but at some point in the future I might transfer the template over to the new widget style. But this'll need some deeper investigation before I'm convinced to "take the plunge".

11 Comments:


Farqui said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Dan Howell said...

The good news is you do NOT need a gmail account, just a "Google" account.

I fail to see what Google has achieved here though. They've made me create another account with themselves that looks no different to me previous blog account, and the functionality provided to me in the "new" blog looks no bloody different to the old one.

Google are falling down into my "Hated Internet Megacorps" box, (along with Microsoft), the way they're going :)


Farqui said...

I'm also unsure why they've gone down the route of another account.

One new feature of Blogger v3 that looks interesting is that Posts can be easily categorised...


dozer said...

confused! but does that mean I have done it???


Farqui said...

Yes Dozer, it looks like you've successfully joined the "new" blog.

Peeps, I've now started tweaking the knobblies template to make use of the xtra functionality - checkout Post Categories (Labels).

"Latest Posts" seems a bif duff at the mo, but I presume that's down to the recent blog migration.

"Recent Comments" are now on the sidebar, so you no longer have to trawl thru the Posts.

Hang in there if something doesn't work. Drop me an mail and I'll get around to fixing it at some point.


Chipmunk said...

Looks like I may have managed too! Happy Christmas everyone.


Dangerous Dave said...

Whehey! Looks like I have also managed the switch (sorry it took so long farqui!) Happy Christmas everyone!


Rob said...

Hey I'm back in the Blog


Farqui said...

'bout time too ;-)

As peeps are gradually re-registering around this awkward blog upgrade, I'm updating their profile link over on't sidebar ->


Farqui said...

Yey, I've finally fixed emoticons in this new damn fangled blogger :D

It's been sooo long I'd nearly forgotten how to use 'em ;)


Farqui said...

It transpires that you will need a Google account if you want to add posts/comments to Knobblies. Let me know if you require an invite...