Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Jacobs Ladder anyone ?

...posted on behalf of Darren...Does anyone else fancy a ride in the Dark Peak on the bank holiday Sunday, 28th May ? I am definitely up for this, as are Les and Mark plus a few of our guide (Chris) mates. Chris is a keen, superhuman biker and I for one am looking forward to the event. Kick off would be Sunday morning from Hope (w.Sheffield and just s.Ladybower reservoir) and to take in some of the best riding our local guide has ever done.

...thoughts from Chris...Ok here’s my thoughts; Jacobs Ladder, Hope Brink, Jaggers Clough and maybe one of the best downhills in the whole county, called The Beast near Snake Pass - the picture does not does this justice the rocks are big and this mother bites back!. I have taken numerous people down this and responses range from "oh my god", "sheete" to "that was the best downhill ever". I’m still trying to shoe horn this all together!

The alternative is a killer route I have done a few times of about 40 miles, 9 hours riding totally hard core but one of the best days out I have had...

6 Comments:


Farqui said...

You'll find some info of the area, incl'g the "Beast" over at MTBBritain.

I spoke to Rob this morning and as his Pennine blat has fallen thru, he's now free to give this a bash.


Farqui said...

Yeah, I'm keen as I've ridden the tors over Ladybower (cousin lives nearby) before and have always fancied tackling Jacobs Ladder.

My back still isn't 100% tho so I'm reluctant to sign up for 9hrs in the saddle. Especially over them hills !


Farqui said...

from John Moores (a fellow EDS-ers and local to the Peaks)...

You're certainly putting a challenging ride together but it is possible and I reckon you won't have to get 40 miles in to complete most of what you mention.

I'll see if I can get some people together (including myself) to show you all around. You're right, the riding is challenging. The Beast won't disappoint. Personally, I reckon there are better stretches of downhill - It just depends on what floats you're boat. Boulders as big as footballs means that on a hardtail you're elated if you get down without "dabbing".

I'll get back to you.

Martin, Doug, Alan, Scott, Dave, and Dave P - can any of you make it on Sunday 28th May? Looking at that distribution list we could be talking another "mass trespass"...


Farqui said...

An update from Chris...The routes now sorted, I’ll ride it Friday to make sure that every things fine. I have brought the map Tracklogs software in today but the bloody thing won’t work on the computer.

I think that we should meet in the train station car park in Hope @10.30 - I’ll sort out this a bit later and let you know.

The route is about 23 miles and should take about 4 hours-ish, depending on the weather and ground etc.

I have a few options that we could consider. I have ridden mostly all the route before and there is a variety of trails with a open mountain feel.

Regards, Chris


Farqui said...

Darren and Les are up for it.

Rob expressed an interest last wk, so we'll assume that he's up for it too.

I thought I might tag along but I now have a funeral to attend and long techy climbs probably isn't the best thing for my back at the moment. So unfortunately I'll have to bow out, damn it.


brumster said...

Well?!