Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Service Time

During the last couple of rides I've noticed that my RS Pikes were suffering from top-out clunk, especially noticeable after lowering the front a smidge via the U-Turn adjuster. A quick glance at the service log shows they've covered close to 1k miles and more than 100hrs - at which point the RS guide recommends the damping oil be changed. They're performed so consistently and been so reliable that I've become somewhat laxadazyickle about servicing 'em and not even completed the 50hr tasks :blush. I hope the top-out rattle is no more than a warning and not terminal - forum searches appear to suggest that a service will fix the annoying tappety-tap.


Toons has already Push'd his Pike and all the web speak suggested the revised Coloradian damping is well worth the extra £'s over a plain ol'service. Find blurb on the mod here. As it happens Chippy has offered to cover the upgrade as an early bday pressie, so I'm already onto a winner :-)


Whilst my front bouncer is away I figured it also makes sense to send off my Rp3 for a thorough overhaul. Rear shox's don't half take some abuse and previous experience shows that my rear shock has benefited more from a full service (incl'g seals, nitrogen?) over a plain ol'DIY air can relube. Besides which I'm now running long 5.5" rockers and would also like to discuss the original Push modification and possible adjustments now that I've plenty of miles on the unit.


The courier collected my bouncers this morning, so they're already on route to a damn good fettle...

5 Comments:


Farqui said...

TFT called this afternoon, with both my bouncers fettled. I was expecting to discuss the mod's with the engineer (like last time) but apparently my scrawl on the service doc gave 'em all they needed.

The courier should have 'em returned home tomorrow in time for some wkend testing :D


Farqui said...

The courier returned my bouncers when they said they would and it didn't take me long to plug 'em back on the bike.

A quick loop to/from/around Woburn reveals that both ends feel more supple and...

Pike; Running the same psi as before (130/130) finds it easily suckin' up the little ripples, almost illiminating annoying trail chatter. no longer did it didn't pop and loft over small roots. It does seem to be suffering from a little stiction due to new seals and has a small break away "pop" after a smooth spell. The trade mark Push blue band proves that plenty of travel is still being used, even on around here. I suspect I'll need to add a few psi for my looming Welsh excursion.

Rp3; TFT re-valved the baby bouncer for my longer 5.5 rockers and also suggested I run 30-40 more psi, 200. Eek, I'd previously settled on 160-170psi which was a tad too soft but bearable on the old butt cheeks. I was sceptical about the higher psi but soon found it felt more supple in the first part of the stroke, terrific. The firmer/higher back end helped when climbing, gave a smidge more pedal clearance over the roots and helps to loft off cheeky lips. Best of all, after 20 miles my butt didn't feel pummelled :D

I'll crank a few more miles over my regular routes and report back soon...


Farqui said...

The service TFT offered has been good since they started but they've upped the anti this time. Each shock gets words from the engineer over a side of A4 covering all that they found, what they've replaced, tweaked and tips.

To show they're honest they still return the guts of your bouncer to prove the repair and internal condition. These spares can prove handy later on if you a new a thingy-whatsit-majig ;)

These folk are the biz.


Dangerous Dave said...

Another way to fix the knock is turn the forks upside down, undo both footnuts and compress the forks so that all the air in the bottom of the fork escapes and do them back up again.

Interested in the Push thing though, might have to have a ganders next time I see you.


Haley Woods said...

Gratefull for sharing this