Saturday, February 03, 2007

Endura eVENT Jacket

Since I started MTBing I've used an Altura Dolomite jacket during the winter but it's now thoroughly non-waterproof and although it has pit-zips I tend to get very hot and sweaty inside it. After browsing the mag's and t'interweb I found that Endura were getting good reviews, especially with their clever new eVENT fabric. As clothes aren't something I'd directly order over the web without trying 'em on first, we checked out a range of light weight winter jackets in our lbs's. Outfits from Fox fitted me quite well, Gore-tex were silly tight and too expensive, Altura's generally lacked features and we eventually found the eVENT. It had a good range of features and it even looked sensible for wearing off the bike - in black at least ;-) Another bonus is that the arms aren't overly long but as medium was a tag snug I opted for a large - something to note if you're looking. Chris (aka Checkov) had been raving out his so a conservative black/anthracite was duly ordered.

I like having a good wind proof top during the darker months and this doesn't disappoint. The sleeves and neck can be tailored from tight to loose very quickly. It doesn't chafe, isn't bulky either on or off the bike and wraps up to a pleasantly small parcel for loosing in your rucksack.

Breathability was high on my list and I'm pleased to report that even with a couple of heavy layers underneath this jacket doesn't give you a 'boil in the bag' feeling. I've not yet worn it on a full bore training ride but I suspect that it'll work out brilliantly, just needing a slight revision of base layers to remain sweat free.

This is the most I've ever paid for a jacket but I'm not too concerned as it offers features available from other manufacturers, at a fraction of the cost. Have you seen how much Gore-tex sells for !

Oh yeah, on my first ride I ended up bouncing hard off a wall :blush with my forearm and the tough fabric shrugged it off without a mark, phew ! Rip stop ? I should say so :thumbu

Features
  • Lightweight, fully waterproof and exceptionally breathable (very close to Goretex standards)
  • Laser-cut pockets and welded-in waterproof zips (with ‘snap-down’ pullers) give the garment a slick appearance and reduced bulk
  • Anatomic cycling design: articulated elbows, extended sleeves and back, single-hand pull cords
  • Reflective prints through 360ยบ
  • Rear shoulder vents
  • Back pocket fits standard OS map
Technical Specification
  • Lightweight mini-ripstop eVENT 3-layer fabric
  • Waterproof to 30,000mm, breathable to 22,000g/m2/24hrs
  • Fully seam-sealed to eVENT approved standard
  • All zips are waterproof YKK with snap-down pullers
  • Double-front storm flap with gutter
  • Storm closures on collar, wrists and waist
  • Laser-cut pockets

1 Comments:


Farqui said...

After a year of ownership this jacket is still going strong. The weather proofing still works a treat and it vents better than any of my previous coverings. The front pockets are very practical and there's not much I'd change apart from a slightly better fit but then perhaps I'm an odd shape ;-)

It's not all rosy tho - the right hand side cuff strap recently came off. A minor irritation but kinda essential on those cold morning commutes. However the retailer; Wiggle replaced it swiftly without question and Endura were also relatively quick to reply (email) - they'd have taken the jacket directly if need be.

Oh yeah...and they're cheaper now :thumbu