Monday, July 30, 2007

5Spot Evo

Following on from replacing front bouncer, I've now made some major alterations to the cockpit. Off with the original low riser bar, longer/lower stem combo replaced with a higher riser, shorter/higher stem.

Recent updates include;
  • Rockshox Pike 454 U-Turn (from leaky Manitou Nixon Super)
  • Hope ProII/DT 4.2d (Chris King bling/DT 4.1d)
  • Maxle (from std quick release)
  • Easton EA70 2" alloy risers, 27" (Maxm 1" carbon risers, 24")
  • Thomson Elite 90mm x 15 degree rise (100mm, 5 degree)
  • Spacers (shuffled)
  • Yeti Hardcore grips (slimmer Yeti Speed Grips)
Why ?
  • The Pike has a slightly shorter axle-crown length than the Nixon and I didn't want the front end to be any lower
  • A quick test ride of Uphilla's rig highlighted just how XC orientated mine was and opened my eyes to just how different the same rig can feel
  • A switch of riding style from XC to "trail", "all mountain" (or whatever you want to call it)
  • Rag's continued jabberin' about "balance"
  • Chipmunk's preferred ride position had me re-evaluate mine
  • A re-occurence of sore lower back and too much time off the bike to ponder such alterations :p
  • As I'm on the cusp between a medium and large frameset, opting for the compact and nimbler size meant I've always had a long post showing - low bars only served to emphasize this
All these "thoughts" contributed in some portion to my gray cells wondering if I didn't ought to raise my controls. The pic's attempt to highlight the differences although I couldn't find an older, low slung profile shot but the work stand snap goes someway to show just how low the bar used to be. The new bar position was a best guess after comparing the old/new components;

After a successful Woburn test I need to lower the bars a tad but overall the higher cockpit appears to be a winner. For instance;
  • DH's are now feel much more stable (a given)
  • Up hill control doesn't appear to be greatly affected (quite a surprise). Although no steep, rough off road sections have been tackled yet
  • The higher/wider riser;
  1. imparts a greater degree of control amongst the twisty's
  2. a greater lean angle in the open fast turns
  3. rearward bias seems work the rear shock better
  4. opens up the chest, improving breathing
  5. has loads-a-room for trip 'puters, GPS, lights, cup holders ;)
  6. alloy bar looks much cleaner than the chipped lacquered bar it replaced
  • I presume the shorter stem has also affected the steering affects of the wider bar (just don't ask me how :lol)
To be impartial I guess I'd have to balance the +ive's with a few -ive's and say that;
  • Sneaking between trees take a little more focus, I've clouted one already (Cannock should be fun - :O)
  • At one point, I founder the lighter front end wandered/step out more than usual during a tight, steep climb - but the Pike's U-Turn feature should be able to counter that
I still reckon some fine tuning is necessary as the bars might be a little too high. But then I may just need to get more familiar with the setup. I'll experiment after a couple of rides over a variety of terrain.

Just out of interest peeps, what is your bar/saddle height relationship ? Grab a tape and we'll see what the typical differences are, I'll start the tapes rolling;
  • Floor to Grip center; 41.5"
  • Floor to Saddle top; 40.5"

3 Comments:


Dangerous Dave said...

Tsk tsk!!! The upgrading bug is definatly about, uphilla with his splattering of XTR, toons with his weight reductions, and now you? Feeling left out!!!


Farqui said...

...and Rob with his...

Oh wait you don't know about that yet :p


Farqui said...

Oops, my records for the old Maxm riser were wrong - it's actually 2" narrower than I thought. So these new Easton risers are approx 3" wider.

I'm starting to get used to the revised cockpit and the slightly squirrelly feeling when loading up fast turns is abating. I was all for dropping the longer stem back in, but I think I'll stick with "shorty" for a while longer.