Sunday, October 08, 2006

Afan'd Rim

On Friday doctor Rob took delivery of my busted rear wheel from Afan and set about replacing the rim which took a substatial strike. The poor rim (DT 4.1d didn't really stand a chance while I was learning that tubeless tyres need more pressure - a soft boot on rocky terrain equal...


Unfortunately, the UST strip didn't survive my clumsy attempt at stripping off the old tyre, etc so I'm back to using tubes again :X My tame wheel builder then took a moment to study the lacing pattern before promptly choppin' out the old spokes. Gulp. After some odd four handed re-spokin' (I think I was a help rather than a hindrance :p) the bits were starting to look wheel like again. Phew. MrDexterous then set about tensioning the spokes and truing the hoop which I thought went really well.

I'm sorry Rob, but the art of lacing is still something of a mystery to me (the "rapid fire" words didn't mean much :blush) but at least his rapid spoke tightening tallied with my crude understanding of wheel truing.

Update: I managed to crank this new hoop for a few gentle miles yesterday (my 1st outing since Afan'g myself :rolleyes) and the hoop seems to be so darn well built that I didn't get hardly any of the usual musical chimes as it groans under my girth. I'll need to mend a little more before I start chucking it around in anger and really testing it - but at least my rig is now repaired.

I'd like to thank Robberty for his speedy master class and for re-assembling what appears to now be a very stout rear hoop. The beer is in the post...

4 Comments:


toons said...

Did you upgrade to DT SWISS 5.1's?


Farqui said...

I did ponder fitting a 5.1 but figured the 4.1's had done me proud until I neglected 'em. So we've got a matching pair again, for now...


Rob said...

You're more than welcome old boy glad to hear you're happy with it.


Chaybo said...

ouch !