Sunday, November 27, 2005

Dalbeattie and New bike

Hello Dudes, the weekend ride didn’t go as well as expected. I had quite a few setup issues on the new bike (bike spec), also the forestry commission kindly cut the Dalbeattie course by 6miles, this was due to tree felling!!

I’ve been riding Shimano rapid rise for two years and that caused a bloody nightmare, couldn’t get my brain to switch, so I was changing up and instead of down, this really got on my nerves, also extremely frustrating.

The fox fork felt horrible; too bouncy, especially on drop off’s. The front would dive\dip horrendously, felt like I was going over the bars. I posted on bikemagic.com and got a couple of things to try (See thread).

I did notice that climbing over the rough stuff is easier (which I wasn’t expecting), also I could take rocky descents faster (Get in). Because this was the first time, I’d ridden a full sus bike, everything felt so unnatural, and I hated it for the first 5 miles!!!

Also because I've never ridden a full sus bike before, I've got no idea whether the rear suspension is working well or not. I did notice pedal bob whilst climbing and managed to get rid of that, by increasing the propedal. So more time in the saddle needed.

I had a strange feeling that the back wheel was dragging (dont think it's the brakes, because they're running fine), only felt this twice over 12 miles and it only lasted about two seconds?

Dalbeattie was good, a bit too much fire track, but the flowing single track and black sections were very good indeed. I’ve included photos of the slab at Dalbeattie; I’m the one in the blue top, blue helmet, half way down the slab. The chap in the red is my mate drew. Dalbeattie photos

By the way, my pictures don’t do it justice and it doesn’t look that steep, checkout this photo from a bikemagic post, it looks a lot steeper from the top.

Toons

4 Comments:


Farqui said...

Way to go Toons. I'm certain that you'll find the 5Spot a blast once your setup woes are behind you.

Could your Foxy fork need a stronger spring ? I guess they come with a std spring and perhaps it's a little soft for ya.

Hehe, I sympathise with your rapid rise woes. I just got used to it on a demo ride and then had to un-learn the shifting again. Not my cuppa tea.

If you're not used to a fully then perhaps you can help yourself acclimatise by whackin' a few more psi into the rear shock ? I'm 175lbs bare back and run something like 155psi on my Spot. I find that 15lbs +/- makes a big difference to the ride. Oh wait a mo, you're running a DHX-Air and not an RP3 - shut my mouth.


Farqui said...

As Moab in a little too far for a wkend trip, I've gotta get my knobblies up to try out some of that Scottish "slickrock" ;-)


toons said...

I've used Pace RC36 for a couple of years and RST before that, I think both have 3" of travel.

The Slab wasn't too bad, if you look at the photo from the top, it was quite scary at first, more paranoid about catching the front wheel in a gully.

There was plenty of grip on the granite, you could slow the pace right down, and perhaps I should have waited until the brakes had worn in, because I carried too way to much speed, which got the adrenaline pumping.

You can see a video via the link below, the rocky drop off section before it was harder.


http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/multimedia/7stanes2.wmv/$file/7stanes2.wmv


Farqui said...

Ta, that's pretty good vid there. It certainly wets the appetite.