Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Poor Lamby

I had a lovely solo ride last night (my 1st since my back popped) up the north side of MK, via the Grand Union Canal. The weather was fabulous with the sun shining, warm and very little breeze.

After dropping down the steps at the "iron bridge" (pictured, by Cosgrove Country Park) and a rest stop amongst the midges :x, I ventured back alongside the Great Ouse river. Towards the end of which I clocked a lamb up to it's neck in water looking very distressed, with it's mother (presumably) bleeting like a banshee at the top of the steep bank :huh. It looked although the lickle thang had tried to get out of the fairly fast and deep river but had only managed to trample down a steep sided, neck deep platform. As it was on the other side of a the river that was both wider and deeper than I fancied crossing, with no bridges in the immediate vacinity I speed off back home. Pondering the fluff balls future on the increasingly fast ride home, I felt increasingly guilty about it's future :blush. Would the police be interested ? No, but the RSPCA should. Sure enough, when I posed the problem with Chipmunk she agreed and a quick surf then had me making my 1st "distressed critter" call. I supplied as much information as I could and the operator indicated that it would be passed on as a priority call. They didn't call back, so I guess they sorted the wee might. "Baaarmy" stuff :p.

The good news it, that my back now seems happier when I'm riding and after almost an hour and half in the saddle, my back felt nice and loose. I'm hoping I can gently recover and then I guess I really must concentrate on getting my core muscles strengthened and try to loosen up my hamstrings. Darn cycling, I thought it was supposed to be good for ya !

1 Comments:


Farqui said...

Some useful numbers a pal recommends...

Animal Ambulance – 07949 583031 or 07876 263225

Voluntary services run by Ian and Lynne, who go out to most wild/domestic/pet problems and take the animal to the relevant place.

Ark Wildlife Rescue – 07702 342415

A lady called Margaret Burke, who will handle all wildlife casualties