Tuesday, April 04, 2006

DDave does Cannock XC with the Fiancee

It'd been a while since I'd taken my Fiancee out for a proper ride, so it was good to get out and stretch her legs....


I'd done a route with the local DH team, (raveracing) and it was soo good I was eager to get around and do it again, especially with FtD becoming an 7-8mile bog.

I'd tried to retrace my steps a month or so before and got hopelessly lost, after starting at Marquis drive, we managed to end up in Stafford - near enough! Just one missed turn and we were done for! However, this time my dad (uphilla) very kindly donated his Edge 305 (which is an excellent piece of kit, by the way, I know what the fuss about GPS on a bike is about now) so we were safe from straying too far from the path!

Fortunately, I managed to remember the turning this time, no wonder i missed it last time, it was across a grassy patch to the left of the fireroad!

The riding was awesome, with only a few patches that were boggy as hell, and even a few little jumps! :-p The route is about 9m long, and covers a broad spectrum of technical singletrack, flowing singletrack, and some silly loose peebly chutes and can be done as part of FtD if you want to start at Birches Valley....or easily done from the Marquis drive visitors centre (plenty of parking). Definitely a route worth checking out.

Cheers peeps ;) (pictures can be found here)

3 Comments:


Farqui said...

Blimey DDave, it seems that you managed a whole XC ride without Uphilla flogging you around ! - there's hope for the young'un yet ;) I bet you still wore baggies...

That's interesting, STW threads reported that Cannock was pretty dry last wkend and I presumed that'd include FtD. Ah well, mud guards and spare pads it is then.

GPS rocks, 'tis a v.handy piece of kit, enhances the ride it does. With a map, I hate the stop, start, "rip" game :x


Farqui said...

Cool pic's fella, I've never seen Cannock so dry...


Farqui said...

Yup, I'm also keen to get the ol'kobblies rolling over some terrain that doesn't send me to sleep.

I'm still getting to grips with our relatively new digicam and tweakin the settings makes a big difference to the quality of the shots. We'll get there, slowly...