Saturday, February 18, 2006

2 Woods Ride

Today Rob & I decided it was about time to explore the countryside betwix our two abodes. A few tweaks to an earlier magazine route had us come up with a fairly tasty blat. The plan was to take in three woodlands, my local of Woburn, Millbrooke and Chicksands which is just up the road from Rob. Tracklogs indicated 45ish miles, over 3,oooft climbing which should keep us busy for approximately 5hrs. Now how would the trails fair after the recent rain ?

Trail Head; CMK, 12am
Turner Posse; Rob (Flux) Lee (5Spot)


OMG, just how gloopy can a trail get ? Very.

With a slightly later start than planned we had to cut the ride short and missed out Chicksands (I'll get there one day!) but the conditions of the trails meant it felt like we'd ridden much further than 35miles.

Rob was flagging from the start (beer and no dinner the day before) but perked up after a pork pie some 20miles in. I however, started just dandy and felt fine for the first 2hrs but then gradually ebbed away until I could barely crank another mile.

6 Comments:


Rob said...

Awesome mud!

Great blog old boy.


Farqui said...

T'was a great ride, one to remember for sure. We should let it dry out a bit before trying again tho...


brumster said...

That looks horrendous! You wouldn't catch me putting my nice clean baby anywhere near that! In fact, I might just leave her in the garage and gawp at her admiringly....

... just kidding ;) !!

Seriously, that amount of mud doesn't look much fun to me... more like ice skating I imagine. And oo, all the cleaning afterwards X-(


Farqui said...

Uphilla, walkers are typically a miserable bunch even at the best of times. He almost has a pointt tho *chuckle* 'cos at one time cyclists did actually need a permit to ride alongside a canal.

Brumster, mud is fun, tiring but fun. If you waft a hosepipe over it all before it dries it mostly comes up clean. We both needed to douse our steeds pdq 'cos our drivetrains were threatening a rebellion by the end.

My left knee was terribly sore yesterday evening and I think I wrenched it towards the end when I was tired. Thankfully, it feels much better this morning.


Farqui said...

Rob, you mentioned an interest in trying more rides over a greater distance that normal, say 25 miles+. I'm game too so how about we use it as an incentive to enter a couple of "Enduros" this year ? Checkout the Calendar for details...


Rob said...

Come along ladies there's no need to be afeared of a little damp goo!

Actually that was the worst bit, most of it was ride-able but just a bit energy sapping.

Next time I'll be better prepared food wise, empty tank - no brum!!